4 Hydration Hacks for Summer
Drinking water is one of the simplest things you can do to improve your overall health. Most people are chronically dehydrated and the effects are serious - from cognitive dysfunction, to weight management issues, poor skin health, a weak immune system, to gut health issues. Just dropping 1% from your optimal hydration level will negatively affect your mood, memory, and ability to pay attention. In fact, your brain is the first organ to call dibs on the water you drink and needs water for even the simplest of functions. Your brain needs water for chemical processes and to keep your brain cells active and moving.
I tell people to aim to drink 1oz of water for every pound of body weight! But chugging your weight in plain water every day can get boring. Getting your daily water intake can feel like such a task, so I wanted to share some recipes to make staying hydrated fun this summer. Here's how to liven up your water from bland to BOOSTED WATER, DETOX WATER, or SUPERFOOD WATER.
1. Chia Seed Detox Water
The TikTok trend! This water boost helps with weight-loss, daily fiber intake, is a source of the electrolyte - calcium. And you get the detoxifying, metabolism-boosting, immune system supporting benefits of citrus. Here's how to make it :
Add to room temp water -
- 1-2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 tsp of Himalayan/Celtic sea salt
- squeeze of lemon or lime
Drink 30 minutes before each meal. Option to let the chia seed detox water sit in the fridge for 20 minutes before drinking.
2. Anti-Aging Aloe Vera Water
Aloe vera benefits include gut health (prebiotic), skin health (reducing wrinkles, promoting collagen production), and fighting diabetes (lowers blood glucose levels). Here's how to make it :
- Blend lemon juice, cucumber, and ginger. Strain the pulp and pour the juice back into the blender.
- Using a knife, cut along the sides of the aloe leaf to remove the spines. Cut along the face of the aloe vera leaf to remove the outer leaf and rind.
- This will expose the clear gel. Rinse off any yellow liquid that seeps out and cut off and discard any yellow tinted gel.
- Scoop out the clear aloe vera gel from the middle of the leaf. Add 2 tbsp of clear aloe vera gel to the blender with the cucumber, lemon, and ginger juice.
- Blend on low until the aloe vera gel has fully mixed and incorporated into the juice, about 20 seconds.
- Pour the fresh juice over ice and enjoy!
3. Coconut Water
Coconut Water - Studies have shown coconut water to be more rehydrating than regular water. It has high levels of potassium and other important electrolytes. If you like coconut water, add it to your daily water intake, but thin it out a little by making it 2/3 coconut water and 1/3 water or 1/2 and 1/2 just to add a little more flavor to your hydration efforts!
Look for a low-sugar or no added sugar brand or just go for some from a fresh coconut!
4. Just Add Water®
Add a packet of my superfood smoothie mix to your water for all the essential nutrition you need in a day! Get clean energy, hormonal balance, and gut-healthy benefits.
Follow me on pinterest for more health and wellness tips!
XO - Serena