10 Superfoods to Fuel Your Superpowers
Popeye had spinach! Which superfoods fuel your superpowers?
Yes, you have a superpower that is unique to you. Probably, more than one! Making sure that you have the energy to be that vibrant version of yourself, serving your true purpose, is essential.
You are the food you eat. Your cells, and microbiome, and the fuel pumping through it all is from the food you decide to put into your body. Eating superfoods will help you stay energized to tap into your superpowers!
Just as your superpowers are unique to only you - SUPERFOODS have unique benefits that fuel specific parts of your body and certain energy centers.
Why certain foods are superfoods :
To be given the prestige of being labeled a ‘Superfood’, a whole food must be rich in nutrients and low in calories. They boost vitality by strengthening the immune system, supporting the creation of serotonin and other hormones, and improving overall health.
The most bioactive components and beneficial nutrients in superfoods are polyunsaturated fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, probiotics, polysaccharides, enzymes, and essential amino acids. The antioxidants seen with highest potency in these foods include vitamins A, C, & E, flavonoids, selenium, b-carotene, lycopene, zinc, uric acid, albumin, bilirubin, coenzyme Q10, and polyphenols.
Why you need to know the nutrition in your superfoods :
It’s important to know the actual, scientific benefits behind which foods are actually “super”.
- Superfoods are always trending and there are so many to choose from! In fact, when you do a Google search for, "How many superfoods are there?", you won't even get an answer, just lots of lists! These trending super whole foods can be from somewhere far away, or something reintroduced into this processed-food-loving society. Often times, superfoods can just seem like a good marketing effort.
- Superfoods for the energy centers you need to balance. I teach in my method, Culinary Alchemy®, that when one of your chakras needs healing, there are superfoods to support. For example, there are superfoods with specific nutrients beneficial to your Solar Plexus Chakra - to support you in owning your personal power and tapping into your intuition.
A few of my favorite superfoods :
Here is a list of 10 plant-based superfoods, which chakras they align with, as well as a deep dive into the benefits of each based on the latest studies.
1. Mangos - Mangos are high-fiber, which helps to clean your gut and maintain a healthy microbiome. An important source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Folate, B6, K, Potassium, Copper, Calcium, Iron, Antioxidants Zeaxanthin and Beta-Carotene, mangos are considered nutrient-dense. Mangos support your Solar Plexus Chakra. This chakra is located halfway between your sternum and navel and is associated with your personal power, ego, and intuition.
A recent study by San Diego State University compared eating 100 calories of fresh mango daily to 100 calories of low-fat cookies, and showed a reduction in fasting glucose levels and inflammation among those participating in the study. Both of these factors are key to reducing the chance of developing chronic diseases. The study was seeking to show that this superfood was significantly better for you compared to a processed “healthy option”.
2. Honey - Go for dark, raw honey. Studies have shown that it has strong anti-inflammatory properties, is antibacterial, anti-fungal, and high in antioxidants. It is full of phytonutrients that support metabolism, detox your body, repair cells and DNA, and boost your immune system. Honey supports your Sacral Chakra and the feelings of worthiness and abundance.
A recent study found nanoparticles in honey that contain membrane enclosed structures. This would imply that there are biological fluids like blood and urine. These nanoparticles were found to reduce inflammation in the livers of mice, which may be due to the high antioxidant levels.
3. Black Garlic - Garlic has many known benefits and has been a superfood for thousands of years. From being a natural antibiotic, to supporting heart health, immune health, and metabolic function, to even being beneficial for hair health and ear health, there are lots of reasons to include garlic in your daily diet. Black garlic is relatively new in terms of superfood trends, this fermented garlic has many boosted nutritional benefits and antioxidants, notably the anti-inflammatory benefits. Black garlic helps fight the growth of cancer cells and supports brain health as well. This superfood aligns with your Root Chakra and helps with feeling grounded.
4. Microgreens - Microgreens are the leafy seedlings of the sprouts of vegetables and herbs. These mini vegetables are up to nine times higher in nutrients than the regular-sized version. The essential nutrients they are rich in include iron, potassium, folate, calcium, Vitamin E, vitamin B, and Vitamin C. Restore your vitality, energy levels, your ability to give and receive love by supporting your Heart Chakra with green foods.
They are a superfood due to the greater and more complex polyphenols and phytonutrients than their full grown counterparts. They have been studied as functional foods in disease prevention, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. It was found that adding microgreens lowered weight gain, LDL levels, helped reduce inflammation.
5. Blueberries - The dark blue color is due to the high concentration of bioavailable phytochemicals with strong antioxidant action. From their low glycemic index that helps regulate blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance, to the fiber that helps with obesity and metabolic syndrome, to brain health benefits, and cancer preventative elements, blueberries are definitely a food to include in your balanced diet. This superfood supports your Throat Chakra, to help you hone in on gut feelings and ability to communicate effectively.
More and more studies are proving how beneficial blueberries are for brain health and the role their nutrients play in supporting healthy memory. . They have been shown to reduce the risk of having Alzheimer’s disease or other neurodegenerative diseases. Blueberries improve balance, coordination, and memory loss. The phenolic compounds, tannins, flavones, and other antioxidants have also been shown to be preventative for various types of cancer.
6. Ginger Root - Ginger is rich in polyphenols, zinc, and potassium. It has been shown to help the body eliminate toxins through the inorganic compounds that improve digestion. The nutrients zinc, potassium, vitamin c, and polyphenols in this superfood help ward off bad bacteria and promote healthy bacteria in the gut. Ginger root supports the Sacral Chakra which is aligned with your sensuality and emotions.
7. Turmeric - Curcumin, the active ingredient in Turmeric promotes detoxing processes in your body and supports a healthy inflammatory response. Curcumin has antioxidants that fight free radicals and protect your cellular health, which is why it is referred to as an “anti-aging food”. Turmeric supports your Sacral Chakra similarly to ginger. When you’re feeing out of touch with your emotions, dealing with issues around intimacy, add this ingredient to your meals or drinks.
It is important that turmeric be paired with curcumin and black pepper to get the health benefits this superfood is capable of. The main benefits are due to the antioxidants and anti-inflammatory effects. Include this spice in your diet to help reduce symptoms of inflammatory conditions, metabolic syndrome, arthritis, and anxiety.
8. Kelp - Kelp is a type of seaweed grown in saltwater that contains as much protein as beef and is still high-fiber. It has ten times more calcium than milk and orange juice, is rich in vitamin A, vitamin K, B-12, iron, and magnesium. These nutrients support bone metabolism, healthy eyes, heart, lung, and kidney function, and immune system It is rich in iodine for thyroid health and metabolism. This superfood supports your Throat Chakra, the source of effective and true communication.
A few of the most exciting new studies are showing how kelp can aid in weight maintenance. It contains a fiber that helps inhibit fat absorption in the gut. Kelp is also being called a longevity food as it is a staple in Japanese diets where the people have above-average life spans.
9. Cacao - Cacao is an ancient superfood used for medicinal purposes from emaciation, to supporting the nervous system and digestive tract. It also has psychoactive properties that attributed to this superfood being so sacred. Cacao is a mineral rich food, high in iron, magnesium, copper and potassium. Cacao is a food associated with the Third-Eye Chakra, the energy center responsible for ideas, intuition, visualization, and perspective.
The most exciting nutritional benefits we’ve known about this superfood have revolved around the antioxidants, monounsaturated fats, and flavonoids. The importance of this superfood in today’s world is its use in reducing stress. A few interesting benefits are that cacao supports heart health and protects your skin from the sun.
10. Hemp - Hemp seeds or hearts, which come from the hemp plant, are being called an anti-aging food. This superfood is high-fiber, contains protein, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats, Vitamin E, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, and B Vitamins. The benefits include supporting skin and heart health protecting processes in your body, and also reducing inflammation. Hemp seeds are good for balancing your Solar Plexus Chakra. This chakra is located halfway between your sternum and navel and is associated with your personal power, ego, and intuition.
One unique benefit is that hemp seeds are rich in GLA, an omega-6 fatty acid that helps with hormonal balance. This nutrient property is shown to help with ADHD, healthy blood pressure, and reducing the symptoms of arthritis, diabetes, skin allergies, and PMS. Being a high fiber food, hemp seeds help with improving gut health and digestion.