Serena's Healthy Decadent Chocolate Heaven
Diet types: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free
VEGAN CHOCOLATE FROSTING
(prep 8 hours or night before cake)
2 ¼ cup coconut cream
4 ½ cups vegan dark chocolate chips
4 ½ cups gluten free baking flour
2 cups unsweetened organic cocoa powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon himalayan salt
2 cups water
1 ½ cup non-dairy milk (nut milk is great)
½ cup + 1 tablespoons melted vegan butter or coconut oil
¾ cup coconut sugar
¾ cup pure maple syrup, Grade A
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Prep the frosting: Using double boiler to melt chocolate chips until smooth.
2. Gradually whisk in coconut cream into melted chocolate until incorporated and smooth.
3. Transfer to refrigerator and chill for minimum of 3-6 hours or until mixture is firm, but pliable.
4. Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare three 9-inch round cake pans as follows: coat with softened vegan butter or coconut oil, then dust completely with the cocoa powder. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients and set aside.
6. Add water and non-dairy or nut milk to a small sauce pan over low heat until warmed.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients until well incorporated.
8. Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just mixed. Make sure there are no dry patches of flour, but also do not overmix.
9. Pour batter evenly into the three prepared cake pans. Slightly tap the pans to even out the batter and release bubbles that may have formed in the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
10. Place pans on a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes. Remove cakes from the pans and allow to cool completely before frosting (about 45-60minutes).
11. Frost the cake: Remove frosting mixture from refrigerator and allow to stand at room temp for 10-12 minutes or until just soft enough to whip.
12. Whip until light and fluffy using stand mixer or hand mixer.
13. Frost cake and add vegan chocolate shaving or chips as garnish, as desired.
XO - Serena
© Serena Poon 2017